[petsc-users] custom compiler flags on Windows

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 17 12:00:51 CST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:
>
> > I need to use some special compile flags when compiling with 'cl' on
> > Windows.
> > While configuring I currently use --with-cxx='win32fe cl', which works
> > fine, but if I add some flags after cl the configure brakes,
> > complaining that the compiler does not work.
> > I also tried using --with-cxx='cl /MY /OPTIONS' but the result is the
> > same as before.
> > Is there a way to specify my own flags with Petsc (or add to them)?
> >

> --COPTFLAGS="<flags>" --FOPTFLAGS="" --CXXOPTFLAGS=""

Generally CFLAGS should work. However with MS compilers - we have some
defaults without which the compilers might not work. [esp with mpi].
So when changing CFLAGS one might have to include the defaults plus
the additional flags.

However COPTFLAGS migh be easier to add to CFLAGS - and provided to
primarily specify optimization flags - but can be used for for other
flags aswell..

Satish