[petsc-users] KSPBuildSolution

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 16 10:40:50 CST 2011

   Try using SNESDefaultComputeJacobian() see if that makes any difference.

   99.9% of the causes of non-convergencing Newton are wrong or slightly wrong Jacobians. Very unlikely possibilities are

1) it is converging to a local minimum that is not a solution. This is checked by PETSc automatically if the line search failed so is unlikely to be the problem. But run with -info and it will print a great deal of information about the nonlinear solver including a message about  " near zero implies" cut and paste all the message about the "near zero" and send it to us.

2) the function is not smooth so Newton's taylor series approximation simply doesn't work.

   Barry