[petsc-users] Matrix free SNES and Jacobian, function evaluations

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Feb 9 14:31:11 CST 2011

The function is always evaluated before the jacobian, but sometimes the
function is evaluated at several places before a jacobian is needed (e.g. in
a line search). You can cache any information you want in the user context
during function evaluation and use it to speed up jacobian evaluation.