[petsc-users] Howto evaluate function on grid

Klaus Zimmermann klaus.zimmermann at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 8 11:15:48 CST 2011

On 02/08/2011 06:00 PM, Barry Smith wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Klaus Zimmermann wrote:
>
>> Hi Barry,
>>
>> thanks for your response. I guess my code excerpt wasn't very good, nor was my description. My apologies.
>>
>> The evaluation in more details goes like this:
>> Depending on the coordinates x and y (and only on them) I calculate 4 vectors S1,...,S4.
>> I have a constant matrix C in the appctx. The three quantities I am interested in are then:
>>
>> 1) u1 = (x+y)*VecTDot(S1, MatMult(C, S2))
>> 2) u2 = u1/(x+y) + (x+y)*VecTDot(S3, MatMult(C, S2))
>> 3) u3 = u1/(x+y) + (x+y)*VecTDot(S1, MatMult(C, S4))
>>
>     How big are S?
Depending on parameter from 100 to 1000. Also C is dense.
>> With this (hopefully better) description let me answer to your points below individually.

>>>     There is little similarity and little chance of code reuse between using a structured grid and an unstructured grid at the level of your function evaluations. So if you truly want to have a structured grid version and unstructured you should just have different FormFunctions for them.
>> This is why I hoped to reuse code for the unstructured version: As long as I can call a method with coordinates and context I am fine.
>> I don't really need any solving. Do I still need different FormFunctions?
>    NO
Ok.

>>>     Using the "local" function approach with DMMGSetSNESLocal() is just a way of hiding the DAVecGetArray() calls from the function code and is good when you have simple FormFunctions that do no rely on other vectors beside the usual input and output vectors. In your example below I do not understand why you have the input and output vectors inside the appctx, usually they are the input and output arguments to the formfunction set with SNESSetFunction() or DMMGSetSNES()
>> I agree. This is mostly because I didn't understand the concepts so well at the time I wrote this code and one of the reasons why I would like to refactor.
>> In my case there should in principle be three output vectors. All the facilities I have seen in petsc only deal with a single output vector. Is this correct?
>> Of course there is an obvious mapping, but I would prefer to keep the vectors apart because that way it is easier to deal with the parallel layout.
>    You can keep them separate. You can have as many vector inputs and outputs you want (it is only the SNES solvers that need exactly one input and one output). Sometimes storing several vectors "interlaced" gives
> better performance since it uses the cache's better but that is only an optimization.
>
>    If you separate the "iterater" part of the code from the "function" part then you can have a different iterator for structured and unstructured grid but reuse the "function" part.
So is there some general iterator code I could use? With regards to the
vector layout: After the evaluation I want to calculate quantities like
PointwiseMult(VecConjugate(u1),u2). I thought that for this it would be
advantageous to have the output vectors layed out in the same way. Do
you think the interleaved layout works as well?