[petsc-users] Operator matrix as a Matrix-free matrix

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Tue Feb 8 07:28:06 CST 2011

Dear all,

I would like to create an operator matrix like

(I - 0.5 C^{-1}(C+kD))

for linear iterative solvers, where k is a given scalar and C and D are
matrices from a FE  discretization.

Moreover, the second part of the operator matrix can be constructed
efficiently by using a matrix-vector product and a forward-backward
substitution since I have the factorization of C which is a symmetric
matrix.

I guess I should use matrix free operations and create the two matrices
as shell matrices such as M1 (for I) and M2 (for the rest of above) and
sum them, is this the most efficient way to do this?

Best wishes,
Umut

--
  - Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things
    and no good thing ever dies...