[petsc-users] Configuring petsc with MPI on ubuntu quad-core

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 17:04:31 CST 2011

Matt,

The -with-debugging=1 option is certainly not meant for performance
studies but I didn't expect it to yield the same cpu time as a single
processor for snes/ex20 i.e., my runs with 1 and 2 processors take
approximately the same amount of time for computation of solution. But
I am currently configuring without debugging symbols and shall let you
know what that yields.

On a similar note, is there something extra that needs to be done to
make use of multi-core machines while using MPI ? I am not sure if
this is even related to PETSc but could be an MPI configuration option
that maybe either I or the configure process is missing. All ideas are
much appreciated.

Vijay