[petsc-users] options for gmres w/ ilu precondioner for sparse

Michael E Henderson mhender at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 1 11:14:38 CST 2011

Thanks

Mathematical Sciences, TJ Watson Research Center
mhender at watson.ibm.com
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/h/henderson/
http://multifario.sourceforge.net/

From:   Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>
To:     PETSc users list <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov>
Date:   02/01/2011 10:44 AM
Subject:        Re: [petsc-users] options for gmres w/ ilu precondioner
for sparse
Sent by:        petsc-users-bounces at mcs.anl.gov

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Michael E Henderson <mhender at us.ibm.com>
wrote:
Good morning,

I'm trying to use gmres with an ilu preconditioner and having trouble
getting the options right. I figure it's got to be something simple, so
hope it's an easy question.

This is the joy of using other packages. Looking at the source, I see 4
packages which can factor a parallel (MPIAIJ) matrix:

  MUMPS, SuperLU_dist, Spooles (now unsupported), Pastix

These are all usable from -pc_factor_mat_solver_package when using MPIAIJ.

1) We do not consider SPAI a matrix factorization package. You just use it
with --pc_type spai

2) We cannot see inside Hypre, and thus it is hard to get into this
framework. You use Euclid with

  -pc_type hypre -pc_hypre_type euclid

    Matt

With options:

-ksp_type gmres
-pc_type ilu
-pc_factor_levels 10
-pc_factor_fill 10
-pc_factor_mat_solver_package spai

I get the message:

 unknown: [1|MatGetFactor() line 3646 in src/mat/interface/matrix.c:
Matrix format mpiaij does not have a solver spai. Perhaps you must
config/configure.py with --download-spai

I checked the configuration output and spai was indeed configured and
built. I also tried spooles with a similar result.

The table
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/linearsolvertable.html
seems to be saying that only hypre/euclid can be used for ilu(k) w/ aij.
Is that true?

-pc_factor_mat_solver_package hypre
-pc_hypre_type euclid

also gives

unknown: [1MatGetFactor() line 3646 in src/mat/interface/matrix.c: Matrix
format mpiaij does not have a solver hypre. Perhaps you must
config/configure.py with --download-hypre

I'm using hypre as a preconditioer elsewhere, so I'm sure it's installed.
Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks,

Mike Henderson
Mathematical Sciences, TJ Watson Research Center
mhender at watson.ibm.com