[petsc-users] Additive Schwarz sub-domain definition

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 12 20:18:43 CST 2011

  set overlap determines how much each subdomain overlaps the other domains. Generally the larger the overlap the faster the convergence but then each subproblem is larger so the the end result may be slower code. You should try -pc_asm_overlap 2 to see if that helps convergence. Based on your determination that accurate subdomain solves are needed, it is unlikely using more overlap with a poorer subdomain solve is likely to work well.

   Incompressible solvers generally have a particular structure that you must leverage in the linear solver or you get slow convergence. You should research how this can be done for your problem.

   Barry