[petsc-users] solve complex linear system: real or complex formulation

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:03:20 CST 2011

Xiangdong,

Nearly all of the time in a serial sparse-direct factorization goes into
performing many different dense "frontal" factorizations. Efficient
implementations of dense LU factorization spend almost all of their time
within dense matrix-matrix multiplication, and complex matrix-matrix
multiplication requires about 4 times as much work as real matrix-matrix
multiplication, as half the work is in adds and half the work is in
multiplies with the standard approach (complex addition and multiplication
are respectively require 2 and 6 real flops).

Overall, a complex sparse-direct solve takes about 4 times as many flops
(and twice as much memory) as a real sparse-direct solve, but due to having
a higher arithmetic intensity (roughly, more flops per piece of data), the
complex version will almost always take significantly less than 4 times as
long as the real version.

Jack