[petsc-users] Questions about setting values for GPU based matrices

Fredrik Heffer Valdmanis fredva at ifi.uio.no
Thu Dec 1 05:39:12 CST 2011

2011/11/29 Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Fredrik Heffer Valdmanis <
> fredva at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> 2011/11/29 Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>

>>> Almost certainly it is not dispatching to the CUDA version. The regular
>>> version just calls MatSetValues() in a loop. Are you
>>> using a SEQAIJCUSP matrix?
>>>
>>  Yes. The same matrices yields a speedup of 4-6x when solving the system
>> on the GPU.
>>

> Please confirm that the correct routine by running wth -info and sending
> the output.
>
> Please send the output of -log_summary so I can confirm the results.
>
> You can run KSP ex4 and reproduce my results where I see a 5.5x speedup on
> the GTX285
>
> I am not sure what to look for in those outputs. I have uploaded the
output of running my assembly program with -info and -log_summary, and the
output of running ex4 with -log_summary. See

http://folk.uio.no/fredva/assembly_info.txt
http://folk.uio.no/fredva/assembly_log_summary.txt
http://folk.uio.no/fredva/ex4_log_summary.txt

Trying this on a different machine now, I actually see some speedup. 3rd
order Poisson on 300x300 assembles in 0.211 sec on GPU and 0.4232 sec on
CPU. For 1st order and 1000x1000 mesh, I go from 0.31 sec to 0.205 sec.
I have tried to increase the mesh size to see if the speedup increases, but
I hit the bad_alloc error pretty quick.

For a problem of that size, should I expect even more speedup? Please let
me know if you need any more output from test runs on my machine.

--
Fredrik