[petsc-users] petsc and goto blas

David Fuentes fuentesdt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:49:24 CDT 2011

Is there any reason why petsc compiled to link with goto blas shared
libraries would not run multi-threaded by default ?

I've set (OMP/GOTO)_NUM_THREADS=8

but when I call dgemm from PETSc I can't seem to get it to run on
multiple cores (<= 100% cpu usage from top).
I checked and the test routines installed with goto library build
called w/o petsc runs multi-threaded (~600% cpu usage on top).

I'm calling MatMatMult with dense matrices from petsc4py.

from petsc4py import PETSc
import numpy
n = 10000
J1 = PETSc.Mat().createDense([n, n], array=numpy.random.rand(n,n),
comm=PETSc.COMM_WORLD)
J1.assemblyBegin();J1.assemblyEnd()
J2 = PETSc.Mat().createDense([n, n],
array=numpy.random.rand(n,n),comm=PETSc.COMM_WORLD)
J2.assemblyBegin(); J2.assemblyEnd()
X = J1.matMult(J2)