[petsc-users] VecScatter

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:08:45 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the VecScatter routine. If I make a call like:

VecScatterCreate(old_vec, PETSC_NULL, new_vec, is_scat, &vec_scat);
VecScatterBegin(vec_scat, old_vec, new_vec, INSERT_VALUES, SCATTER_FORWARD);
VecScatterEnd(vec_scat, old_vec, new_vec, INSERT_VALUES, SCATTER_FORWARD);

what is it that will happen? Does this takes the values of old_vec vector
and put them into new_vec and takes care of all communications? if so, is
this done according to the global or the local numbering in the index set
"is_scat"?

Thanks,
Mohammad