[petsc-users] Storage space for symmetric (SBAIJ) matrix

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Sep 21 13:53:28 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 20:44, Daniel Langr <daniel.langr at gmail.com> wrote:
> we do not need and do not want to use PETSc for writing a matrix into a
> file. Such file should be independent of any particular solver. That's why
> we want do use HDF5 library with parallel I/O capabilities. I can simply
> store CSR (or COO or any other scheme) arrays for the upper triangular part
> of a matrix to the file and some supporting information such as number of
> rows and nonzeroes.

You are tying yourself much closer to the solver if you write the
matrix out in partitioned split arrays (a PETSc-specific format, plus
a very specific decomposition).

> As Jed mentioned, we can write only the state to the file. But parallel I/O
> is also part of our project and research, that's why we bother :). Also,
> when we want to compare different methods for solution, we would need to
> construct the matrix multiple times instead of just read it from the file,
> which can by quicker.

Benchmark it, reading the matrix in will always be slower than
assembling it in parallel (a factor >100 would not be surprising).
How long does it take to write 100 TB (any file system in the world,
any number of IO nodes)?  Compare that to the couple of seconds it
would take to assemble the 100 TB matrix with 100k procs.

Jed