[petsc-users] Storage space for symmetric (SBAIJ) matrix

Daniel Langr daniel.langr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:35:13 CDT 2010

Our preliminary idea is to construct a matrix with some legacy code,
store matrix into a file (as we would do anyway for checkpointing
purposes) and then load it into a solver. We are free to choose matrix
storage scheme for a file, so we could prepare data to be in the format
of arrays to be loaded into PETSc. For binary I/O we are experimenting
with parallel HDF5 capabilities using MPI-I/O underneath. (PETSc has a
HDF5 viewer, but if I am not wrong, it does not use parallel I/O). For
really big problems parallel I/O is a must for us.

We are solving a nuclear structure problem, particularly a
symmetry-adapted no-core shell model computations of a nuclei. (I do not
understand much that kind of physics, my part is the eigensolver :).

Daniel