[petsc-users] sending configure.log to mailing lists

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 15 13:28:19 CST 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Srinath Vadlamani wrote:

> Thanks for checking.  The team does want configure.log with all help
> requests, correct?

yeah - all issues requiring configure.log should be sent to petsc-maint.

There is some confusion regarding public mailing lists [petsc-dev,
petsc-users] and private list [petsc-maint]. Here is some clarification:

1. To reach petsc-developers - any of the above e-mail ids are
equivalent, although petsc-dev is supporsed to be for discussions on
development version of petsc.

2. We do not want to flood inboxes of all mailing list subscribers
with multi-megabyte configure.log or similar attachments. For this
reason - any issues that involve configure.log [esp installation
issues] are best sent to petsc-maint.

3. Mailing lists [petsc-dev,petsc-users] need subscription - but no
such thing for petsc-maint]. Also mailing list emails reach all folks
- while petsc-maint reaches only developers. And mailing lists
conversation is archived and accessiable by all for future searches.

3. We do want to keep both the public and private conversation
channels open - hence the existance of mailing lists as well as
petsc-maint.

Satish