[petsc-users] minres and cholesky or icc preconditioner

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Sun Nov 14 10:40:45 CST 2010

Dear all,

I am trying to solve some linear systems with minres where the operator
matrices can become indefinite depending on \lambda and moreover both
the operator matrices and the right hand side is changing in a loop.

A = K - \lambda M;

I used the basic example, ex1.c, and tried supply some command line
arguments to see what is going on for the linear solves with minres.

Use of -pc_type cholesky or icc  does not return an error however I
could not understand this because the operator matrix is not
PD(symmetric however) so I did not get how cholesky or icc might be used
as a preconditioner in this case. However, the results are fine, but the
iteration numbers are a bit high maybe I should play with the tolerance,
because I am not looking for the very close approximate solution, a
coarse representation of the solution might also help me. This is
because I would like to use these solution vectors in some other context
mixed with some other vectors.

And the other question is that backslash of MATLAB solves these systems
faster than umfpack or mumps interface of PETSc, is this due to the fact
that my PETSc configuration is the default debug one(I read somewhere in
the documentation some time ago, mentioning that there can be important
performance differences, but could not locate that right now.)?

I would appreciate clarification on these points.

Best,
Umut

--
  - Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things
    and no good thing ever dies...