[petsc-users] kronecker products

Benjamin Sanderse B.Sanderse at cwi.nl
Thu Nov 4 10:39:00 CDT 2010

I am using a finite volume method on structured grids and things are really simple.
To give you an idea, here is the matrix that calculates du/dx, given a vector with u. For simplicity I use the Matlab way to construct such a thing:

diagonal       = (1/deltax)*ones(Nx,1);
Dux_1D         = spdiags([-diagonal diagonal],[0 1],Nx-1,Nx); % differencing matrix in 1D
Dux_2D         = kron(speye(Ny),Dux_1D));
Dux_3D         = kron(speye(Nz),Dux_2D));

Here Nx is the number of points in x-direction, Ny in y-direction, and so on. For simplicity I took a uniform Cartesian grid and did not take boundary conditions into account.
Other operators, e.g. involving cross derivatives, are more complicated, but the basic idea should be clear. Notice that here the extension to multi-D is simply with an identity matrix, so both matrices in the kron command are really sparse.

Ben