[petsc-users] difference between solns for np=1 and np>1.

(Rebecca) Xuefei YUAN xy2102 at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:53:27 CDT 2010

Dear all,

I have a piece of code working right for np=1, but when I use np>1(for
example, np=2), the solution is different from the one with np=1.

I checked the residual function(f_np1_itsi vs f_np2_itsi) and Jacobian
matrix(J_np1_itsi,J_np2_itsi), it turns out that for different initial
guesses,

f_np1_its0 = f_np2_its0;
J_np1_its0 = J_np2_its0;

although two Jacobians are the same, they have different nonzero structures.

After 1 nonlinear iterations, the solution is not the same.

I do not understand that if I have F(u^{m}) and J(u^{m}) the same, how
could I get different \delta u^{m} in np=1 and np=2 situations?

Thanks a lot!

Rebecca

--
(Rebecca) Xuefei YUAN
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics