[petsc-users] amg from hypre

hxie at umn.edu hxie at umn.edu
Sat Mar 6 15:41:12 CST 2010

Hi,

I am solving incompressible navier-stokes equations. The code implements
the Newton iteration and just uses the KSP solver for each iteration. It
takes 14 nonlinear iterations (~8min) to converge using the default solver
in PETSc. But it takes 6 nonlinear iterations (~30min) using boomeramg from
hypre. The amg taks less iterations but takes too much cputime. Is this
normal? One friend told me the reason may be that I did not call the
destroy function to free the memory in each Newton iteration (I called
PetscFinalize after all the Newton iterations). How can I call the
PCDestroy_HYPRE from a fortran code? Will there be significant difference
in cputime to call amg directly from hypre? Thanks for any help.

Bests,
Hui