[petsc-users] reporting failing pcksp solves

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sun Jun 20 15:18:23 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 06:07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  Hmm, this is a good question. There are tons of places where some sort of
> "inner solve" is imbedded in an "outer solver", in fact many levels of
> nesting. We should handle this in a systematic way which likely means
> carefully checks put in various places in the code.
>
>  We could instead (or in addition) add an option to have KSPSolve()
> generate an error on "not-convergence"  instead of returning with a negative
> converged reason. The drawback to this is that you cannot "handle" the error
> and continue running, it just ends. Would this be useful?

I don't know, but I don't think it's a substitute for propagating
convergence failures without raising an error condition.  You don't want the
error handler called for a non-exceptional occurrence.  You really want to
unwind the stack nomally to whatever level can modify the problem (or report
the convergence failure to the end-user).

Jed