[petsc-users] Calculate determinant in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 28 11:31:12 CDT 2010

  The determinant can be computed from the LU factorization of a matrix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant). We don't have code that can automatically pull out the appropriate values but it shouldn't be too hard to write. If you are running sequentially then you can just use PETS's LU factorization and then access the underlying data structure to pull out the diagonal entries. If you want in parallel you could use MUMPS or SuperLU_Dist() and then pull out the diagonals from their data structure (a bit of work to figure out how to do that).

   Is this what you are looking for?

    Barry