[petsc-users] configure problems

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 23 13:14:31 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> line

> expected

> > > These packages don't build with MS compilers. If you need them -
> > > suggest using GNU compilers.
> > >
> > > Satish
> > >

> > Do you mean mixing Petsc built with MS compilers with hypre/parmetis
> built
> > with cygwin's gcc?
> > Will it work?
>

> Mixing diferent compilers [esp MS & gnu on windows] will not work. I
> mean: if you really need hypre on windows - then use gnu compilers for
> everything [petsc+mpi+hypre etc..]
>
> Or just stick with linux..

Unfortunately, I need also a Windows version and I will leave the cygwin
option as the last resort.
For the moment I managed to successfully build petsc with --with-parmetis=1
--download-parmetis=1. When using --download-hypre=1 configure fails
complaining about missing mpi.h, which is surprising.
I was wondering what you meant with "These packages don't build with MS
compilers": dependence on some core unix functionality or the lack of the
appropriate project/build script.

Regards,
Dominik