[petsc-users] configure problems

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon Jul 19 17:39:33 CDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:29:26 +0200, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for a useful hint. I have reinstalled cygwin, now with
> the older python (2.5.x instead of 2.6.x). The configure process now
> starts, but terminates complaining about downloading mpich. I will
> look into manual installation tomorrow.
> Meanwhile, what do you make of CMake? It has been adopted by several
> large packages...
> What steps would I have to take to port Petsc to Cmake (not supporting
> downloading and compilation of external packages in the initial
> attempt)?

Petsc-dev has preliminary support for CMake, it doesn't try to do it's
own configuration, but just picks up what PETSc's configure discovers.
See the "Experimental build systems" section:

  http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/developers/index.html

I'll make it more tranparent soon, the extra steps were useful for
debugging, but can be eliminated for most users.

Jed