[petsc-users] Very poor speed up performance

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 22 10:40:49 CST 2010

On Dec 22, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Yongjun Chen wrote:

> Satish,
>
> I have reconfigured the PETSC with –download-mpich=1 and –with-device=ch3:sock. The results show that the speed up can now remain increasing when computing cores increase from 1 to 16. However, the maximum speed up is still only around 6.0 with 16 cores. The new log files can be found in the attachment.
>

> (1)
>
> I checked the configuration of the first server again. This server is a shared-memory computer, with
>
> Processors: 4 CPUS * 4Cores/CPU, with each core 2500MHz
>
> Memories: 16 *2 GB DDR2 333 MHz, dual channel, data width 64 bit, so the memory Bandwidth for 2 memories is 64/8*166*2*2=5.4GB/s.

   Wait a minute. You have 16 cores that share 5.4 GB/s???? This is not enough for iterative solvers, in fact this is absolutely terrible for iterative solvers. You really want 5.4 GB/s PER core! This machine is absolutely inappropriate for iterative solvers. No package can give you good speedups on this machine.

   Barry