[petsc-users] Monotonic convergence in FGMRES.

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:28:34 CST 2010

Vijay,
  You should definitely follow Barry's suggestion and monitor the true
residual (using -ksp_monitor_true_residual).
Jed, I know this may sound odd given FGMRES uses right
preconditioning, but I've seen that when the system is badly scaled,
the preconditioned residual and the true residual reported by
-ksp_monitor_true_residual can drift from one another. In such
situations with the reported numbers are initially the same, but after
a number of iterations, the preconditioned residual may continue to
decrease but the true residual actually stagnates.

Cheers,
  Dave