[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

Li, Zhisong (lizs) lizs at mail.uc.edu
Mon Apr 19 15:05:06 CDT 2010

Mat and Jed,

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I remembered, the make test was successful except the Fortran complier, but I only use C for my work.

I tried " $ cd src/snes/examples/tutorials && make -n ex5" and it shows: /home/lizs/petsc/linux-gnu-c-debug/bin/mpicc  ex5.c  -o  ex5

All the machines have mpi package installed before I got to touch PETSc. That might be the potential problem. But "Portability" is one of the main features of PETSc. Doesn't that mean the user can run the final executable anywhere as long as c and mpi libraries are available?

Thanks,

Zhisong Li

Subject: petsc-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

The mpiexec in your path is not the one you configured with. What
MPI is begin used?

   Matt

> > I've tried to run some PETSc examples and my own simple PETSc codes on my
> > office's cluster as well as on Ohio Supercomputer Center's machine. At first
> > I found no speedup for parallel processing and later I noticed by checking
> > the rank that actually each node is doing the same sequential processing.
> > I'm sure the codes are parallel codes (such as ex19.c in SNES and ex7.c in
> > TS tutorial codes). Is there anything I am missing in the installation or
> > the run command such as"mpiexec -n 3 ex7"? How can I realize a parallel
> > running?
> >

> The mpiexec in your path is not the one you configured with. What
> MPI is begin used?

Does make test run successfully?  If so, then

  $ cd src/snes/examples/tutorials && make -n runex5

will tell you which mpiexec PETSc is using.

Jed