LU in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 18 12:27:35 CDT 2009

    The shift nonzero causes a c*I to be added to the matrix, so
rather than solving A x = b it solves (A + c*I) z = b so, of course, z
is not generally going to be the same as x.
If you use a shift you do not want to use preonly as the KSP method
you should use something like GMRES. Also to get an accurate answer
use something like -ksp_rtol 1.e-12

     Matlab and Lapack are doing column pivoting in the factorization
to avoid the zero pivot. PETSc's sparse factorization does not have
this functionality which is why it generated a zero pivot.

    Barry