How to visualize a matrix object from a remote machine?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 15 12:43:00 CST 2009

If you are running on a cluster - the cluster nodes won't usually have
access to the X11-server-port on the front-end node.

So - its best to do '-mat_view_draw' on a non-cluster environment.

If you really need to do this on the cluster - the following methods
are possible:

1) assuming you know the host-file before invoking the 'mpirun'
command [which appears to be the case here ]- you would do:

- establish an ssh-x11 tunnel into node1 [in the node-file list]
'ssh -Y node1'
- find out the display value for this tunnel
echo $DISPLAY
- now use this value with 'mpirun binary -mat_view_draw -draw_pause -1 -display display_value'

Note: If there are seq matrices created in your solve - you might need
ssh-x11 tunnels to *all* the nodes [and hope you get the same
'localhost:10' value on all of them]

2. Open up a x11-tcp port on the cluster-front-end - but for that -
you need to be root on that machine - or convice your sys-admin this
is a safe thing to do. [this can be limited to ssh-x11-forwared port
by modifying the sshd_config i.e - enable GatewayPorts]

Satish