extracting work vectors

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 4 13:37:12 CST 2009

     Here is how preconditioners ALWAYS work (you are getting your
tangled round and round and making this much more complicated then it
really is).

     Given a vector x any preconditioner returns a new vector y that
approximates the inv(A) x ; there are only two vectors involved and
there is NEVER "an initial guess to y" (or you can think of y as being
exactly zero). Note the x passed into PCApply() has NOTHING to do with
the current solution x in the gmres method nor is it the current
residual in the GMRES method it is just something that the Krylov
method has generated. In GMRES for example the current solution and
residual are not even computed until the GMRES restart, they are
simply not available during the running of GMRES.

    So any PCApply() you provide takes x as input and computes an
approximation to y = inv(A) x;  Note the variable names x and y in
PCApply are just dummy names and mean nothing, calling them x and y in
the source code and documention is probably a mistake, think of them
as input and output.

    Barry