viewer interfaces between PETSc and Matlab clones

Thomas M. Ortiz TMO at htri.net
Fri Sep 26 12:40:02 CDT 2008

Hello

I would like to start using PETSc in a software package I'm developing and, when considering results presentation, have considered making use of either GNU Octave or SciLab as a viewer/post-processor.  I read in the PETSc User's Manual that there is a Matlab interface which can generate Matlab-compatible representations of matrices and vectors for viewing purposes and even launch Matlab sessions.

I also believe the latest version of GNU Octave has support for Matlab graphics.

Has anyone had experience rendering PETSc results in any of these packages who could offer any advice?  Is there a PETSc API with which I could develop a tool to launch Octave or SciLab from PETSc to mirror what is possible with Matlab?

Thanks in advance

Tom Ortiz