about KSP based on parallel dense matrix

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 21:43:03 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Yujie <recrusader at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Lisandro:
>
> Barry has tried to establish an interface for Plapack. However, there are
> some bugs in Plapack. Therefore, it doesn't work.

Sorry, I didn't know about those Plapack issues.

> I am wondering if CG in
> Petsc can work with parallel dense matrix.

Of course it works. In fact, any other KSP should work. As Barry said,
The KSP methods are INDEPENDENT of the matrix format, try -pc_type
jacobi as preconditioner.

> When using the same matrix, which
> one is faster, sequential or parallel? thanks.

For a fixed-size matrix, you should get really good speedups iterating
in parallel. Of course, that would be even better if you can generate
the local rows of the matrix in each processor. If not, communicating
the matrix row from the 'master' to the 'slaves' could be a real
bootleneck (large data to compute at the master while slaves waiting,
large data to scatter from master to slaves), If you cannot avoid
dense matrices, then you should try hard to compute the local rows at
the owning processor.

--
Lisandro Dalcín