about KSP based on parallel dense matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 22 21:02:11 CDT 2008

    The KSP methods are INDEPENDENT of the matrix format, they can all
be used just as well with dense matrices
as sparse matrices. As with all linear operators the question is what
are suitable preconditioners (if any) for a particular
problem. If the matrix is well conditioned then -pc_type jacobi would
be fine; preconditioners like ILU are probably silly
for dense matrices since they are expensive.