how to specify hosts to mpiexec? -machinefile doesn't work

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 2 10:01:56 CDT 2008

Yes - to be able to use multiple hosts - you should use
--download-mpich-device=mpd option. The defualt
--download-mpich-device=pm gets you started off with minimal MPICH
config [but limits running all MPI jobs on the same machine.

Wrt configuring MPD - usually you would do:

cat > machinefile
host1
host2
ctrl-D

mpdboot -n 2 -f machinefile
mpiexec -n 2 binary
mpdallexit

There might be other issues specific to your cluster. For this, its
best to use MPI already installed [with the correct compilers] and
configured on this cluster, and use --with-mpi-dir option with petsc
[instead of --download-mpich option].

The other alternative is to read up on MPICH2 installation
instructions on how to configure MPICH2 and MPD on your specific
hardware setup.

Satish