Using MAT_NO_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATIONS and MAT_SYMMETRIC give error

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:58:55 CDT 2008

Hi,

I read in the manual that I can use either call
MatSetOption(A_mat_uv,MAT_NO_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATIONS,PETSC_TRUE,ierr) or
call MatSetOption(A_mat,MAT_SYMMETRIC,PETSC_TRUE,ierr).

When I use MAT_NO_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATIONS for the matrix formed by my
momentum eqn, I get the error on my home computer udring compiling:

:\Myprojects2\imb_airfoil_x2_parallel\mom_disz.f90(356) : Error: This
name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type.
[MAT_NO_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATIONS]
call MatSetOption(A_mat_uv,MAT_NO_NEW_NONZERO_LOCATIONS,PETSC_TRUE,ierr)

Although this error does not happen when I compile in linux, I can this
error during run:

[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html#Signal[0]PETSC
ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on linux or man libgmalloc on Apple to
find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: configure using --with-debugging=yes, recompile, link,
and run
[0]PETSC ERROR: to get more information on the crash.
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received!
[0]PETSC ERROR:

I use KSPRICHARDSON and PCILU for my momentum eqn matrix.

When I use MatSetOption(A_mat,MAT_SYMMETRIC,PETSC_TRUE,ierr) for my
poisson eqn which is symmetric, I get the same error as above during
run. Btw, I'm using hypre as the preconditioner and default solver.

May I know why using these options give the error?

Thank you very much.

Regards.