Mannually specify a diagonal matrix as a preconditioner?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:29:30 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Shi Jin <jinzishuai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You do not need another matrix to do lumping. Just give the mass matrix in
> both arguments, and then use
>
>   -pc_type jacobi -pc_jacobi_rowsum
>
>   Matt
>
> Thank you Matt.
> However, I want to do more than a row sum, which is perfectly fine for first
> order elements. For higher order elements, I have to use a special
> quadrature rule to construct the lumped diagonal matrix.
>
> With this in mind, could you please answer my two questions again? Thank you
> very much.

Then my answer is the same as my second answer. To first order, I think the time
is completely negligible, so just use an AIJ matrix. If, after measuring the
performance, you are unhappy, then put the diagonal matrix in a vector and
wrap MatDiagonalScale() in a MatShell.

  Matt

> Shi
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Shi Jin <jinzishuai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am trying to solve a mass matrix linear system by KSPSolve. Right now, I
> > am passing the mass matrix itself (let's call it M) to KSPSetOperators()
> as
> > the Pmat argument. In order to speed up the convergence, I have
> constructed
> > the lumped mass matrix (named lumpedM). For a linear finite element, this
> is
> > simply a diagonal matrix with entries equal to the sum of the row on M. It
> > is a common practice to replace M with lumpedM to have faster convergence
> > without losing the order of accuracy.
> >
> > What I want to do is to still solve the M matrix but use lumpedM to
> > precondition it. This way hopefully the number of iterations would be
> > greatly reduced. In Petsc code, I tried
> >
> >  ierr = KSPSetOperators( solMP, M, lumpedM, SAME_PRECONDITIONER);
> >
> > However, instead of giving faster convergence, it actually takes more
> > iterations to convergence than the regular one. Therefore, I wonder if
> > setting lumpedM as Pmat is the correct way to do it. Could you please
> > advice? I think right now lumpedM is taken as the input to compute the
> > preconditioning matrix, using whatever method is specified by -pc_type .
> > What I really want to do is to simply set lumpedM as the precondition
> > matrix, without spending time to compute anything.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Shi
> >

> > --
> > Shi Jin, PhD

> > Like movies? Here's a limited-time offer: Blockbuster Total Access for one
> > month at no cost.

> their experiments lead.
> -- Norbert Wiener

> No Cost - Get a month of Blockbuster Total Access now. Sweet deal for Yahoo!
> users and friends.

their experiments lead.