petsc for 64 bits

Carlos A. Catania (AKA Harpo) harpomaxx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 03:08:48 CDT 2008

Hello,
Perhaps this is not the right place to ask this question because I am using
PETSC as a library inside a third-part software. I am using feap[1] which
uses PETSC and also Metis for parallel execution support.

I have a question related to petsc under 64bits. Feap is written in
Fortran and uses 8 bytes integer data type. As far I know this is the normal
behavior for AMD 64bit arch (perhaps this is not true). However when
feap invokes PETSC libraries,
a segfault error messages is shown. I read a little bit about it and
the problems seems to be that Petsc uses 4 bytes integers (normal
behaviour for IA32 arch) and there
are some problems with pointer references which cause the segfault error
message.

Reading petsc documentation I found an option to compile petsc with 64
bit integer support --with-64-bit-indices=1. I tried it but when compiling
several  incompatibles error messages are shown. Moreover when I
run the test I got a lot of errors like:

Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 2 MPI
processes
See
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/troubleshooting.html
[1]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
------------------------------------
[1]PETSC ERROR: Null argument, when expecting valid pointer!
[1]PETSC ERROR: Null Object: Parameter # 1!
[1]PETSC ERROR:
[1]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 2.3.3, Patch 3, Fri Jun 15
16:51:25 CDT 2007 HG revision: f051789beadcd36f77fb6111d20225e26ed7cc0d
[1]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
[1]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
[1]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
[1]PETSC ERROR:

So my question is if it is posible to compile petsc with  64bits
integer support?
Besides --with-64-bit-indices option, is there another option I should
add to get petsc tests work?

My configuration is:
AMD 64
petsc version 2.3.3-p3
Intel C an Fortran compilers v 9.1
MPICH2 1.0.7

I configured petsc with this options:
/config/configure.py PETSC_ARCH=GNU/Linux-gnu-amd64 CC=icc FC=ifort
--with-mpi-dir=/opt/mpich2/  --download-f-blas-lapack=1 --with-fc=ifort
--with-64-bit-indices=1

Thanks in advance

[1] Feap:http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~rlt/feap/
--
Carlos A. Catania (AKA Harpo+)
[FP] F152 8D50 6939 E21A 7A90  CDD4 AEE4 FA48 DF70 4D68