Matlab and PETSc communication

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 28 13:45:37 CDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Michel Cancelliere wrote:

> Hi,
> Thank you for your response, I think the socket communication
> between Matlab and PETSc  is what I need, I took a look to the
> example ex12.c and ex12.m (Simple example to show how to PETSc
> programs can be run from Matlab) but in this case PETSc send the
> Vector solution that matlab "receive", is it possible to make the
> inverse? Send  the variable from matlab to PETSc using socket
> communication? can PetscMatlabEngineGet do that ? How it works?

   You don't really want to use the Matlab Engine code, because with
this approach the PETSc program is "in charge" and just sends work
requests
to Matlab. Instead you want Matlab in charge and to send work requests
to PETSc.

    The basic idea is that both Matlab and PETSc open a socket
connection to each other. On the PETSc side use
PetscViewerSocketOpen() on the Matlab side
use the bin/matlab/@sreader/sreader.m class to create a (Matlab)
socket object. Now on the PETSc side you can make calls to VecView()
to send vectors to
Matlab and VecLoad() and MatLoad() to read vectors and matrices from
Matlab. On the Matlab side use PetscBinaryRead() and
PetscBinaryWrite() to
read vectors from PETSc and to write vectors and matrices to PETSc.
Your PETSc program may end up looking something like

     PetscViewerSocketOpen(..... &socket);

    do forever:
       VecLoad(socket, &b)
       MatLoad(socket,....,&A)

       KSPSetOperators(ksp,A,A,....)
       KSPSolve(ksp,b,x)
       VecView(socket,x)

    You Matlab program could look something like

       socket = sread()

       do forever:

          Create your vector and matrix
          PetscBinaryWrite(socket,b)
          PetscBinaryWrite(socket,A)
          x = PetscBinaryRead(socket)

   The details and correct syntax are obviously not given.

    Good luck,

    Barry