Puzzling error

Kevin Ellwood kellwood at ameritech.net
Fri Jul 25 16:12:07 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I am trying to resurrect an old FEM code of mine that was based on a very
early version of PETSC (ie. 2.0.x).  I am go through all the changes and I
am pretty sure I have some issue to get through.  However, this set of
errors below from an early test run are puzzling me.  The relevant lines of
code are shown for setting two type of solvers.  Both generate an error
message indicating the Petsc can't find the KSP type once the KSPSolve is
called.   It seems odd that I can get such an error since  KSPBCGS and
KSPGMRES are define in petsc header files and can't be typos or
miss-spellings.

I know I messed up somewhere.  Does anyone have advice as to where I should
start looking?

Thanks
Kevin

         KSPSetType(ksp_solver,KSPBCGS);
         ierr = KSPSolve(ksp_solver, rhs, b); CHKERRQ(ierr);

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown type. Check for miss-spelling or missing external
package needed for type!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unable to find requested KSP type bcgs!

         KSPSetType(ksp_solver,KSPGMRES);
         ierr = KSPSolve(ksp_solver, rhs, b); CHKERRQ(ierr);

[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown type. Check for miss-spelling or missing external
package needed for type!
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unable to find requested KSP type gmres!
[0]PETSC ERROR: