MatTranspose Question

Sarah Osentoski sosentos at cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:23:17 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'll start out by saying I'm a new user to PETSc.  I'm actually using
SLEPc which is a package for eigenvalue problems and is built on top
of PETSc and I have a question about the MatTranspose function.

I have a very large, very sparse matrix with dimensions on the order
of 3 million by 1 million.  I created my matrix using MatCreateMPIAIJ
and it seems to be evenly distributed across my machines.  I've hit a
bottleneck when running some code to compute the SVD of the matrix
and the bottleneck seems to be using the MatTranspose operation on my
matrix.  This operation runs for a very long time.  I ran a job over
the weekend and it still seems to be in this function.  (Running for
on the order of 60 hours at this point.)  It also seems to only being
using one of the processors available to it.  When MatTranspose runs
does it go through every element and then send messages between the
process?  Or for sparse matrices does it only reorder the elements
that are not zero?  Or is there something else going on that explains
this behavior?

Thanks,

Sarah Osentoski