what's the difference between PetscViewerASCIIOpen() and PetscViewerBinaryOpen()?

Yujie recrusader at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:50:09 CST 2008

Hi everyone:

#include "petsc.h"
PetscErrorCode PetscViewerASCIIOpen(MPI_Comm comm,const char
name[],PetscViewer *lab)

#include "petsc.h"
PetscErrorCode PetscViewerBinaryOpen(MPI_Comm comm,const char
name[],PetscFileMode type,PetscViewer *binv)

if the difference between them is that one for ASCII output and the other
for Binary output, why are there different parameters?
The speed to output matrix is very fast when I use  PetscViewerBinaryOpen.
However, when I use PetscViewerASCIIOpen, I can't get the matrix output. the
code always is running and it has taken about one day! what's the problem?
thank you.

Regards,
Yujie