libX11.so.6

Sanjay Govindjee sanjay at ce.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 2 06:11:47 CST 2008

Mauro,
on many x86_64-linux machines you need to link with /usr/X11R6/lib64.
It depends on the version/distro you are using.

-sanjay

Barry Smith wrote:

>   Please send configure.log and make_log and bmake/$PETSC_ARCH/petscconf
>
> On Jan 1, 2008, at 9:21 PM, Pivi, Mauro Torino Francesco wrote:
>
>> I have just installed PETSC on a x86_64-linux machine.
>>
>> I am at the level of running the first exercises and after "make" and
>> running the ex2.c file in parallel I get the message
>>
>> "./ex2: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory"
>>
>> WHAT SHOULD I DO??
>> I spent few days with this. Please, help.
>>
>> PS: I used the link found the file libX11.so.6 in the directory
>> /usr/X11R6/lib. Thus I run configure.py again with the option
>> --with-x-include=/usr/X11R6/lib
>> But NO IMPROOVEMENT.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Mauro

Sanjay Govindjee, PhD, PE                 Voice:  (510) 642-6060
Professor of Civil Engineering            FAX:    (510) 643-8928

WWW: http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~sanjay   E-mail: sanjay at ce.berkeley.edu

709 Davis Hall
Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Materials
Department of Civil Engineering
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710