external solvers - scalapack

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 17 22:09:42 CST 2008

    Whoever wrote a PETSc TACC2008 tutorial that says PETSc interfaces
to scalapack
is a fool. It does not interface to scalapack in any way (since we
support building
mumps which needs scalapack we support building scalapack but PETSc
itself makes
no calls to scalapack.)*

    We do have support for using Cholesky in PLAPACK with our dense
matrices.
You should use petsc-dev or wait a couple of days for the petsc-3.0
release
before using it.

    Barry

* One reason we don't screw with scalapack is the complicated messy
way the dense
matrix has to be spread across processes which is painful.