SV: Timesolver: Newmark method?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 3 09:01:09 CST 2008

    The TS uses KSP for linear problems and SNES for nonlinear
problems and SNES uses KSP (when using implicit integrators),
these take all the run time so the TS is as efficient as the
particular linear solver used (for implicit integrators).

    For explicit integrators, you just write the integrator and TS is
just a little wrapper around it that doesn't take any
time so the efficiency is the efficiency of the explicit integrator
you write.

    In other words, TS is just a thin layer of code that does not
cause a performance hit, so if you code  a Newmark
integrator than the efficiency of the TS is the efficiency of the code
you write.

   Barry