PETSc jacobian

Aron Ahmadia aja2111 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:09:26 CST 2007

Hi Jianing,

The way I understand things, since a DA is fundamentally designed to
handle spatially discretized differential equations, it is good for
distributing your data and automatically handling situations that
arise in PDE/ODE-solving, like updating of ghost points as fields
change over time.  Since a DA is not an operator, it can handle
multiple dimensions without difficulty, as well as take the role of a
'weight matrix' defining some sort of interactions between points.

The PETSc Mat, on the other hand, is fundamentally a linear operator.
It's a way to define a relationship between two vectors in your space.
 It can easily multiply vectors and perform other 'linear algebra'
operations, but it really isn't designed designed as a graph between
two vectors.

If I were trying to solve this problem, I would probably use DA to
define my weight operator, then use direct access to the DA components
to extract the columns.  I would only use Mat if I was trying to solve
for some sort of linear system, like Mx = b.

Thanks,
~Aron

PS - I fantasize about elegant designs as well