Using PETSc in structured c-grid for CFD and multigrid

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 21:02:19 CST 2007

Hi,

I was discussing with another user in another forum (cfd-online.com) about
using PETSc in my cfd code. I am now using KSP to solve my momentum and
poisson eqn by inserting values into the matrix. I was told that using PETSc
this way is only for unstructured grids. It is very inefficient and much
slower if I'm using it for my structured grid because I am not exploiting
the regular structure of my grid.

Is that true? I'm solving flow around airfoil using c-grid.

So how can I improve? Is it by using DA? I took a glance and it seems quite
complicated.

Also, is multigrid available in PETSc? Chapter 7 discusses about it but it
seems very brief. Is there a more elaborate tutorial besides that c
examples?

Hope someone can give me some ideas.

Thank you.