Estimating PETSc performance using SuperPI's results

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 04:40:08 CST 2007

Hi,

I'm thinking of ways to estimate and compare the performance of PETSc on
different CPUs. I think it will also enable one to make the wise choice
of whether to upgrade or not.

Of cos, the best way is to run your own code on the new machine to see
how much increase there is. However, most of the time this option is not
available. I have found many forums whereby users post the time required
to run programs such as SuperPI or other benchmarking softwares. I
wonder if such software can be used to estimate the performance of PETSc
too? In other words, if cpu A ran 4 times faster than on cpu B running
SuperPi, is it safe to assume that it 'll be roughly the same running
PETSc? Btw, SuperPi is a single threaded program.

Thanks