How can I use BICGStab on a matrix with zero entries on the diagonal

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:56:45 CDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Zhu Liang wrote:
>
> > Yes, you are right, I am trying to solve Oseen equation.
> >
> > I tried using preconditioner PCILU(1) which works well.
> > But for PCILU(0) it did not work, as well as PCBJACOBI.
> > I have tried to insert zero on the diagonal, but it still does not work.
> >
> > In your opinion, what is the best parallel solver and preconditioner
> > for the Oseen equation ?
>
>    Black box? I wish I did!
>
>    Matt, when are we going to add a "general purpose" Stokes solver to PETSc?
> Does that question even make sense?

It makes sense if we know more about the discretization and weak form. There
are a few good ways to solve Stokes: block smoothers on an element-by-element
basis, block triangular preconditioning by field, efficient projection onto the
null space of B. These all require that we can slice up the unknowns correctly.
Once people buy into my discretization framework, which will happen shortly
after I finish coding it, we can start to get this going. I have a
Stokes example
now, without any of these nifty solvers :) They will get done this fall.

  Matt

>    Barry
>

> > Thanks for your reply.
> > Liang
> >
> > On 8/12/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > >

> > >   It is not really the BiCGstab Krylov solver that it complaining;
> > > it is the default ILU or block Jacobi with ILU on the blocks that is
> > > complaining.
> > >
> > >   You first need to make sure you insert 0 entries on the all the diagonal
> > > entries that are 0. BUT given the structure of your matrix you may want
> > > to think about solvers that specifically handle that type of matrix.
> > >
> > >    Barry
> > >
> > > Stokes type solvers?

their experiments lead.