Sparse Matrix Inversion using PETSc

Dr. Timothy Stitt timothy.stitt at ichec.ie
Wed Aug 15 06:49:10 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I am currently investigating the best way to perform the inversion of a
large sparse matrix and came upon the idea of using PETSc as a framework
for testing various strategies from direct to iterative methods on my
sample matrices. In this setup for an NxN sparse matrix A I would have N
rhs's representing the Identity matrix and then solve for X. I wanted to
experiment with both parallel and serial strategies ranging from LU
Decomposition using SuperLU, MUMPS etc. to iterative methods using GMRES
etc. Am I right in thinking that all this can be done in PETSc by
setting up a core framework and then varying the solver methods etc?

I have looked over the sample KSP Solver codes although they only seem
to suggest single vectors for x and b. Can this be changed to accept
multiple vectors? Can anyone suggest a sample code that maybe
demonstrates the sort of thing I want to achieve...if it is in fact
possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given,

Regards,

Tim.