Programming in *.f90 free format with PETSc

Ben Tay zonexo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:41:43 CDT 2007

Ok, I understand now. I just tested your recommended code on my school's
linux server which uses ifort. It works w/o any error. Here's the code:

#define PETSC_AVOID_DECLARATIONS
#include "include/finclude/petsc.h"
#include "include/finclude/petscvec.h"
#undef PETSC_AVOID_DECLARATIONS

module foobar

Vec abc

contains

subroutine xyz()

implicit none

#include "include/finclude/petsc.h"
#include "include/finclude/petscvec.h"

Vec fbar

integer ierr

call PetscInitialize(PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER,ierr)

end subroutine
end module

Everything is similar to your recommended format except the "use foobar"
is removed. The strange thing is when I try to compile on my windows's
visual fortran, it gives lots of error. The errors all point to mpif.h.
Some errors are:

d:\cygwin\codes\MPICH\SDK\include\mpif.h(1) : Error: Syntax error, found
END-OF-STATEMENT when expecting one of: ( : % . = =>
-^
d:\cygwin\codes\MPICH\SDK\include\mpif.h(2) : Error: Syntax error, found
END-OF-STATEMENT when expecting one of: ( : % . = =>
-^
d:\cygwin\codes\MPICH\SDK\include\mpif.h(3) : Error: Syntax error, found
INTEGER_CONSTANT '1993' when expecting one of: ( % . = =>
C  (C) 1993 by Argonne National Laboratory and Mississipi State University.
-------^

My include directory uses d:\cygwin\codes\MPICH\SDK\include. So how
should I deal with this mistake?

I do all my code writing and basic debugging on the visual fortran and I
only run my working code on linux. Hence, I did not try your
recommendation on the linux. When I reduced the errors to just 3 (none
explicit declaration of PETSC_NULL_CHARACTER etc), I thought I'm going
in the right direction. But in fact I was on the wrong track.

Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience.