Running 'make' command in verbose mode

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 1 09:55:06 CDT 2007

Is your interest either of:
 - use PETSc [by building PETSc libraries] -
 - investigate the build infrastructure in PETSc?

If its the second one - could I enquire for what purpose would such
investigation be useful?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Sumit Vaidya wrote:

> I found your build procedure something different than the other
> applications. So I was eager to know about it.
>
> Other applications produce makefiles through configure script and use it for
> actual building. But here I found makefiles are already present along with
> the package and configure script is mainly doing some testing and producing
> architecture configuration files.

This is inference is incorrect. [there is not much difference in the 2
methods you mention - except for a different organization of the
makefiles]

Our model is equivalent to autoconf model [you refer to]. With
autoconf, [from what I understand] Makefile.in has the pre-written
make targets [by the package developer], and then there are some
variables [like CC etc] that configure detects and substitutes - and
creates Makefile.

We also have pre-written targets, and variables that configure detects
and substitutes. The difference is - in case of autoconf, the
generated makefile has both targets & variables. We chose to split up
generated variables into different makefiles in bmake/$PETSC_ARCH, and
the pre-written targets into bmake/common/* files. [And then the
toplevel makefile that included the relavent generated/precoded
targets]

So, in both cases, the 'makefiles' are useable by the user only after
configure is run.

Hope this helps,
Satish